Saturday, March 15, 2008
He walked right past me in the foyer with his coat hanging off of his head and still looked a little grumpy. He refused to talk much, and I noticed that he was a little bothered during Kid Connect. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I knelt down towards where he was and said:
- "Caleb! You've been sad all morning long, wanna' tell me what happened?"
Without much hesitation he looked at me and said:
- "Yes... Alex was being mean to me this morning, that's why I moved to sit with Netania.
- "Really?" I replied.
And to my surprise, at that very second, Alex came running by to say hi! I then told Alex how Caleb was feeling and said that maybe they should talk about it. Alex, who is a little taller than Caleb, quickly sat on the floor and crossed his legs so that they would be at the same level, AND he gently asked:
- "Caleb, do you feel like I was being mean to you?"
Once again, with little tears in his eyes, Caleb replied:
Alex then took a second to look at the ceiling but very quickly, as if the greatest idea had just dawned upon him, very excitedly, he turned to me and said:
- "Pastor Aly! I know how I can make it better!"
- "You do?" I asked.
- "Yeah! I just play with him!"
And instantly, out of the corner of my eye I saw little Caleb's face brighten up and he had the biggest smile I had seen all day! I quickly asked:
- "Caleb, does that work for you?"
Before he could even finish nodding, 'YES!' he and Alex took off running towards the Fellowship Hall. Never before had Matthew 18:3 made so much sense…
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (NIV)
- Thank you, Alex.- Thank you, Caleb.